Skip to main content

Conference


I have to say, I had grand visions of snuggling on the couch with my Conference Journal absorbed in the awesome teachings from our leaders this past weekend. But... I kind of forgot I have a three year-old. And a baby. And reality was far from my vision.

Avery's naps are way off right now, so she wasn't sleeping during the sessions like I had anticipated, and although I printed lots of amazing coloring pages for Harvey... I failed to remember that he doesn't love coloring. He really only lasted about 3 crayons worth, and that wasn't even long enough for two talks.

Despite all that went wrong, here's what worked (at least for a little while) to keep Harvey engaged so I could at least try to focus on the spiritually uplifting talks:

Speaker Stickers:

This one was easy and actually the most effective. I pulled out the center fold from the last conference edition of the Ensign and taped it to the wall next to the television. Every time a new speaker went to the podium, Harvey jumped up to find him on the sheet. When he found the right one he could put a sticker over their face. Sometimes he would cheer "Hey! There's a new speaker" even when there wasn't...

Conference Wall:

I found this idea from We Talk of Christ, but it didn't keep him engaged as well as I had hoped. I chose pictures from the Gospel Art Kit, and from my Ensign Photo Library that I thought would be mentioned lots during the talks and taped them to our entertainment center. Harvey could point to the pictures as he heard the subject mentioned.

Umm, maybe they were talking about Baptism and Scripture Study at the same time? (Please overlook the uber-dusty entertainment center and the Lightening McQueen underwear.)


Maybe buying one of those pointer sticks from a teacher supply place would make this more enticing??

Conference Game:


I found this idea from Blissful & Domestic. I pulled out a couple of game pieces from my Trivial Pursuit game while we played this. The idea is that you start in the upper left hand corner and slowly work your way to Jesus in the lower right-hand corner. If you hear a topic mentioned in one of the talks, you can move your piece to a picture or word that represents that topic. I just used pictures from the Ensign and the Friend and glued them onto a poster board.

This was actually really fun for me as well! Obviously, Harvey can't read yet, so he just moved his piece to pictures he liked, placed his piece wherever mine was, and tried to find the apostles photos when they spoke. 

I want to do another version on the back for some variety so I haven't laminated it yet. Bonus points for whoever can find the place where Harvey already ripped something off. (Sheesh!)

I love Conference Weekend. I love making and eating my yummy Butterscotch Pull-Aparts. I love staying home snuggled up on the couch in my sweats listening to our leaders. It seems like when I listen to Conference with a problem in mind (and really.. I always have a problem in mind) the talks are just for me. I was glad that the stars aligned and I was able to hear what Jeffrey R. Holland and Deiter F. Uchtdorf had to say about seeing others kindly (including yourself), and not judging.

What were your favorite parts? What do you do to help your children listen during Conference?

Comments

  1. I must admit when I saw your conference journal I thought "wow her kids must be chill, we are just chasing a toddler around trying to get SOMETHING out of conference. forget taking notes like the pre-kiddo days". So I admit i was relieved to read that your reality was closer to our reality. :) Way to make a big effort to make it fun for Harvey, I love these ideas.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

This Much Card and a Kid Canvas

Father's Day ideas continued... I decided to show you the things Harvey and I made to give to Justin. First up... "I Love You This Much Card": It's super easy... 1. Trace your child's hand, then cut out two copies. My paper was double sided so I made sure that when the thumbs match up - the yellow side would be inside, and the blue side would be outside. 2. Cut out a strip of paper and fold it accordion style. Use letter rub-ons or stickers to add the words "I Love You" on the outside, and "This Much" on the strip of paper.  3. Glue the ends of your accordion strip on the insides of the hands and your card is done. :) Kid Canvas: Then Harvey and I made a little canvas (4 inches x 4 inches) to hang on the wall in Justin's office at work. I purchased small ones so we could add to them each year and hang them in one grouping. I prepainted the canvas in green, then set Harvey in the bathtub with blue paint and

Thinkin' About Dad

So.. Father's Day is in 10 days. Yeah - already. Here are a few ideas for you... Shirt Card: All you need are two papers, and two buttons. 1. Cut one paper into a piece 4 inches by 11 inches. Fold it in half so you have a card base that opens "up" and measures about 4 inches wide by 5.5 inches tall. 2. Measure one inch from the fold and draw a line 3/4 inches toward the center on both sides of your card.  Use scissors to cut through both papers at the marks. 3. Fold these pieces in to the center of the card, so the top corners meet in the middle. 4. Download this tie pattern... Here is an alternate link to download the file: Shirt Card Template ...and use it to trace and cut a tie out of your second paper. Glue your tie in the center of the card. 5. Add buttons to the collar to make it more realistic. (Or, if you want to do it digitally, go here to download an awesome template from ScrapMatters.com) Here are some clutter-free Father's Day gif

DIY Canvas Car Playmat

So, my baby turned two yesterday. And I just KonMaried my house and I am SO. OVER. the toys. And the kid clutter. Plus he has both a big brother and a big sister, and they have toys that cover all the basics. But we still have loads of birthdays and Christmases in our future, so what in the world am I going to give? Anyway, my internal brain rant ended when I came up with this idea. It meets all of my current criteria: It is durable.  It is open-ended and fosters imaginative play. It folds up small and can be stored with like-items in our toy storage system. It encourages cooperative play. My hubby had a mat like this one when he was a kid, so I asked my mother-in-law to give me some details on how to make our own. I bought 60 inches x 45 inches of duck canvas and ran a zigzag stitch down the raw edges. Then, (after planning out the city on graph paper measured and accurately scaled proportionately, then folding the canvas to help rescale my plan) I drew in the c