Skip to main content

Dinosaur Bash

My baby boy turned FOUR! He requested a Dinosaur Party, and I was so excited to host a little party for his friends at our house.

Here is the invite...


When each child arrived, I adorned them with a dinosaur party hat, complete with spikes. (One little girl said she wanted a "girl hat" so I tied a little ribbon into a bow and glued it on the front of hers.)



And after everyone arrived, we started lunch. I made up two signs... for two different types of dinosaurs.




And my favorite part, was the swamp juice (just koolaid with dry ice). However, the dry ice totally cracked my dish! I'm not sure what I would put in the bottom to protect it next time, but it would be worth researching.



If you're interested, here's a copy:

Here is an alternate link to download the file: Dino Party Printables

Then it was time for cake and ice cream. I this cake on pinterest, and I loved the trees, so I replicated them in green and added a few plastic dinosaurs to the top. Harvey loved it (and it was so easy!)


After eating, we headed outside to search for dinosaur eggs! I bought a whole bunch of mini dinosaurs and put several into Easter eggs.  The kids were super excited!



Then, using a few of the dinosaurs that "hatched", we made our own fossils. Each child squished clay into the bottom of their dish then "stamped" the side of a couple dinosaurs into the clay. We then filled the dishes with Plaster of Paris.


It's kind of hard to see in the picture, but once we peeled the clay off, it looked like real dinosaurs were fossilized (for an older crowd you might try to find dinosaur skeletons to stamp). 


While we waited for our fossils to dry, we headed outside again for another game: Dinosaur Stomp. This time, I told the kids they were like a mommy or daddy dinosaur and they had to protect their little dinosaur egg (a balloon we tied onto their ankle). The goal was to stomp on everyone else's egg, but don't let your egg pop!

I had them start of the game by giving their loudest dinosaur ROAR!


Then they were off. I know these pictures are terrible. I wasn't thinking about settings during the game.. but I have to post them to show how funny this game was. Everyone pretty much ran around like crazy, popping each other's balloons.


We let them keep playing if their balloon popped (although if the kids were older I might have made them sit out). But then it was down to one, and all the kids totally cornered him and popped it together. I thought it was hilarious, but that kid didn't. I had to cheer him up by telling him he won the game! 


When the party was over I sent the kids home with a goodie bag including: candy rocks, a couple of green gumballs, the plastic dinosaurs they had gathered from the eggs, and the fossil they had made.


Here are my 4 favorite things about Harvey:

1. He is fun. He knows how to have a good time, and include others.

2. He has a great sense of humor. He is starting to get old enough to say funny things on purpose, and I love it. He makes me laugh often.

3. He is sweet. Especially to his little sister, Avery. She loves him, and I hope their friendship will always stay close.

4. He has a great imagination. He is always conjuring up some fun scenario for he and his friends to play make believe. Not to mention the stories he tells me!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

This Much Card and a Kid Canvas

Father's Day ideas continued... I decided to show you the things Harvey and I made to give to Justin. First up... "I Love You This Much Card": It's super easy... 1. Trace your child's hand, then cut out two copies. My paper was double sided so I made sure that when the thumbs match up - the yellow side would be inside, and the blue side would be outside. 2. Cut out a strip of paper and fold it accordion style. Use letter rub-ons or stickers to add the words "I Love You" on the outside, and "This Much" on the strip of paper.  3. Glue the ends of your accordion strip on the insides of the hands and your card is done. :) Kid Canvas: Then Harvey and I made a little canvas (4 inches x 4 inches) to hang on the wall in Justin's office at work. I purchased small ones so we could add to them each year and hang them in one grouping. I prepainted the canvas in green, then set Harvey in the bathtub with blue paint and

Thinkin' About Dad

So.. Father's Day is in 10 days. Yeah - already. Here are a few ideas for you... Shirt Card: All you need are two papers, and two buttons. 1. Cut one paper into a piece 4 inches by 11 inches. Fold it in half so you have a card base that opens "up" and measures about 4 inches wide by 5.5 inches tall. 2. Measure one inch from the fold and draw a line 3/4 inches toward the center on both sides of your card.  Use scissors to cut through both papers at the marks. 3. Fold these pieces in to the center of the card, so the top corners meet in the middle. 4. Download this tie pattern... Here is an alternate link to download the file: Shirt Card Template ...and use it to trace and cut a tie out of your second paper. Glue your tie in the center of the card. 5. Add buttons to the collar to make it more realistic. (Or, if you want to do it digitally, go here to download an awesome template from ScrapMatters.com) Here are some clutter-free Father's Day gif

Our General Conference Center

I know, no one is thinking about General Conference right now. But tonight I'm showing my board to my mom's Relief Society group, and I wanted to have the printables available to them if they decided to complete this project. If any of you are interested... you have three and a half months to complete it. :) Two days before General Conference, I stumbled across this idea for engaging young children.... and I thought it was absolutely amazing. (And so are most of the ideas found on Jen Lund's blog - check it out!) One of the main reasons I love this idea, is that it doesn't just distract young children from being disruptive during Conference, but it engages them and encourages them to listen! I'm not gonna lie. It took time to put together, but I am positive that Harvey will enjoy working with this board. That will hopefully translate into Justin and I being able to listen, and that will make all of my hard work worth it in the end. Here's how i