Skip to main content

(Half) Birthday Interview

It seems like age three is a good time to start doing birthday interviews... but I missed my little guy's third birthday. I decided I'd better do something soon to capture my little Harvey before he got much older. His half birthday was last Sunday, so I got to work.

I made up a little double-sided printable that I can repeat every year... I've seen many versions of the birthday interview all over Pinterest, but I wanted to add a few elements of my own - like a place for a handprint, and a place to either attach a photo or let my child draw a self portrait. Plus, I wanted a little box to write stuff that didn't apply anywhere else.

After I printed a copy, I set up the video camera, sat Harvey in front of it.. and asked him the questions. It was thoroughly delightful to see what his answers would be.




Harvey hasn't really traced letters much, so I helped him with the first letters in his name. But he did V, E, and Y all by himself. I was so impressed! I love his self portrait - I coached him... "Let's draw your hair. What color is it?...Oh, how about shoes?" (For my future self: The yellow on top is his hair, the big brown blob in the middle is his eyes, and the two little orange lines on the side are his arms. He drew blue lines for pants, and orange shoes at the bottom.)



(Wow, that handprint is bold. Harvey picked out the color with enthusiasm...)

It's funny what kids think and say. For some reason during the interview Harvey kept answering "fox" for many questions. I coaxed the real answer out of him on some, but on others he wouldn't budge from "fox." Anyway, I'm pretty sure his favorite song is "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star," and his favorite game is either wrestling with daddy, or the verbal games I play with him while I push him on the swings. And well... exercise as his favorite sport? That just makes me laugh! (Oh, and I just noticed that when I took this photo, I hadn't finished spelling Little Einsteins, because I wasn't sure if it was I before E... and apparently that little phrase doesn't work all the time. I'm glad I checked.)

Feel free to grab a copy if you'd like:


Here is an alternate link to download: Birthday Interview

Comments

  1. Tiff I love this. I can't wait to see it on pintrest. You are one of my awesome friends that help me to look creative. I owe it all to you. Keep up the good work.
    What a sweet boy you have. Cute pics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been searching all over the internet to find something exactly like this cz my little guy just turned three! Thank you so much for your work, and for sharing it! It's perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ive saved a couple of these and this is by far the best. I love the accomplishments and the handprint part. So great:) Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super cute! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is the best one Ihave seen..It makes my heart happy..I love the handprint!! Oh thank you for sharing!I LOVE this!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing!! So cute. Going to interview my birthday boy right now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is the best and most visually appealing birthday interview sheet that I've seen! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Never thought about this, but absolutely a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love this, thanks so much for sharing! i'm stealing your format and using it to make my daughter an interview book on mixbook. i've been looking for a good interview and this is the best one i've found for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for sharing! This is a great idea. Can you share what font you used? I would love to modify a few of the questions for our family. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks so much for sharing, I love this!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for sharing! So cute and clever!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a wonderful idea! Thank you for creating this! Would you mind sharing the .psd version so I can modify it more easily to include into our yearly photo book? Thanks and have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, at this time I don't want to share any layered files... but you could always erase what you don't like and add text in Photoshop. I used Century Gothic. :)

      Delete
    2. Please let me know if you change your mind, I'd be happy to pay for it. Thanks!

      Delete
  14. Love this! Thank you for sharing, will be doing this with my 3yr old!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is wonderful! And I understand that you don't want to share your layered files but can you offer any guidance on how to create the borders you used in the document? Many thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I LOVE THIS SO MUCH!! I was looking for something cute to supplement his baby book and this is just perfect!! The book goes up to 5 yrs- but they don't give you space for all the fun things that are on this sheet.
    Thank you so much for Sharing!! This will become a yearly tradition for us!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is brilliant. Thank you so much for sharing. Soraya - Brazil

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is my favorite one! I came across this 3 birthdays ago and have had to get by with other versions these past 2 bdays. So glad I refound this on pintrest tonight~ I will make sure to save it this time :D It is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh yay, I LOVE this!!! Thanks so much for sharing!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

This Much Card and a Kid Canvas

Father's Day ideas continued... I decided to show you the things Harvey and I made to give to Justin. First up... "I Love You This Much Card": It's super easy... 1. Trace your child's hand, then cut out two copies. My paper was double sided so I made sure that when the thumbs match up - the yellow side would be inside, and the blue side would be outside. 2. Cut out a strip of paper and fold it accordion style. Use letter rub-ons or stickers to add the words "I Love You" on the outside, and "This Much" on the strip of paper.  3. Glue the ends of your accordion strip on the insides of the hands and your card is done. :) Kid Canvas: Then Harvey and I made a little canvas (4 inches x 4 inches) to hang on the wall in Justin's office at work. I purchased small ones so we could add to them each year and hang them in one grouping. I prepainted the canvas in green, then set Harvey in the bathtub with blue paint and

Thinkin' About Dad

So.. Father's Day is in 10 days. Yeah - already. Here are a few ideas for you... Shirt Card: All you need are two papers, and two buttons. 1. Cut one paper into a piece 4 inches by 11 inches. Fold it in half so you have a card base that opens "up" and measures about 4 inches wide by 5.5 inches tall. 2. Measure one inch from the fold and draw a line 3/4 inches toward the center on both sides of your card.  Use scissors to cut through both papers at the marks. 3. Fold these pieces in to the center of the card, so the top corners meet in the middle. 4. Download this tie pattern... Here is an alternate link to download the file: Shirt Card Template ...and use it to trace and cut a tie out of your second paper. Glue your tie in the center of the card. 5. Add buttons to the collar to make it more realistic. (Or, if you want to do it digitally, go here to download an awesome template from ScrapMatters.com) Here are some clutter-free Father's Day gif

DIY Canvas Car Playmat

So, my baby turned two yesterday. And I just KonMaried my house and I am SO. OVER. the toys. And the kid clutter. Plus he has both a big brother and a big sister, and they have toys that cover all the basics. But we still have loads of birthdays and Christmases in our future, so what in the world am I going to give? Anyway, my internal brain rant ended when I came up with this idea. It meets all of my current criteria: It is durable.  It is open-ended and fosters imaginative play. It folds up small and can be stored with like-items in our toy storage system. It encourages cooperative play. My hubby had a mat like this one when he was a kid, so I asked my mother-in-law to give me some details on how to make our own. I bought 60 inches x 45 inches of duck canvas and ran a zigzag stitch down the raw edges. Then, (after planning out the city on graph paper measured and accurately scaled proportionately, then folding the canvas to help rescale my plan) I drew in the c