I found this great idea from my friend, Rachel: Make a summertime advent calendar. I loved the idea, and decided to make my own now so I can entertain the girls this year and use it year after year for my own kids someday (when Harvey can actually say "I'm bored...").
For a novice seamstress like me - it was a pretty involved project to say the least. If you really want to make you own, you can follow a tutorial here. However - I'd like to add one thing: Buy Heat N' Bond LITE! The tutorial didn't specify, and I didn't know there was a difference, but if you use the regular Heat N' Bond your sewing machine needle gets all sticky every few seconds and skips stitches unless you clean it off. Let's just say that this project took WAY longer (and was more frustrating) than it should have!
Each cone is labeled with the numbers of the month (I used glitter puffy paint), and is a pocket. You write a surprise activity that is planned for the day and slip it in the pocket. Then each day of their summer vacation your kids get to do something fun. I wanted to leave my calendar at the girls' house, so I coded all the activities (letters into numbers) so they couldn't sneak and find out what we were doing ahead of time.
Here are the activities I have planned:
- glamor shots / makeovers / nails
- make your own puzzle
- make slime
- go to the Natural History Museum and see Toadally Frogs
- bubble day
- fingerpaint with pudding
- Mom's Birthday prep (make cake, gifts, etc)
- go to the Gale Center of History
- make a pinata
- break the pinata
- host the Neighborhood Olympics (hopscotch, hoolahoop, relay racing, throw into buckets...)
- go Letterboxing
- make a rocket
- make chapstick
- make jewelry with Shrinky Dinks
- go to the zoo
- water party
- make homemade salsa (ha! I'm going to put them to work!)
- make a time capsule of the stuff we did over the summer
- go to the Aquarium
I'll draw and post the winner a week from today, on Tuesday, July 14. Good luck!
(Contest is now closed.)