Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Custom Recipe Book

I'm a visual person.

Before I go grocery shopping, I sit down to pick out recipes for the next couple of weeks and add the ingredients to my shopping list (I have this one, and I LOVE it). I started to see a trend. Most of the recipes I chose had pictures of the dish in the recipe book. I just seem to gravitate toward the recipes that look good. Even if something sounds good, it doesn't have the same pull. I had a little thought about taking pictures of recipes I had made to help with that problem, and decided then to make my own recipe book. (And check off another item on my 101 Things in 1001 Days List.)

(uses Stir It Up:  The Kit, The Alphas, The Journaling Bits, and The Word Art Bits by WM[squared] Designs)

Here's my thought process behind all the details:
1) I used to get Martha Stewart Living, and her tear-out recipe cards fit 4 on a sheet, with the photo on one side, and the recipe on the back. I loved the design, so I mimicked it when making up a template of my own.

2) I thought about having a book made up, but I wanted to be able to add and delete recipes as my tastes changed. Plus I wanted each page to be wiped free of inevitable spills, so I opted for a three ring binder with Postcard Sheet Protectors.

3) Sometimes I get frustrated when recipe books have a billion categories. I know what I'm looking for... but I can't find it because I can't think of the right category it might be in. So, I kept mine simple. They are hard to read in the photo... but I have Main Dishes, Drinks/Dips, Sides/Snacks, Breads, Sweets, Holidays & Canning.

It will probably be a forever work in progress, but I have typed up my favorite recipes and printed them 4 to a sheet of cardstock. For now, I just slid them in a regular 8.5x11 sheet protector. As I make each recipe, I take a photo, and after I get photos of all the recipes on each sheet, I can print them, cut them and add them to their spot in my book.

How do you organize all of your recipes??

Pin It


  1. I'm so in love with this idea! It's gorgeous online, but even more fun in person!

  2. I ought to do this...I'm not a scrapbooker, so I don't know how well I'd do. I'm ok without pictures, but right now I use a recipe box, and those fill up very quickly for as much cooking as I do (3 meals a day - often 7 days a week). I've thought about just using a binder, and putting my recipes in a sheet protector. Who knows. :) You're so organized, I need someone like you to come and work me and my house over and teach me how to stay that way. :)

  3. Terrific idea! I would have never thought of this. Thank you for sharing the idea!

  4. Terrific idea! I would have never thought of this. Thank you for sharing the idea!

  5. Its a great idea, can't wait to try it out. we have dozens of recipe books and BHG magazines and its quire difficult to look for a recipe (takes too much time). thank you!

  6. I love this idea! I too used to subscribe to Martha Stewart Living and was drawn to the format of the recipe cards. Any chance you could share your template or at least how you were able to print front and back?? Thank you!

    1. Hey Bailey! I used Photoshop to design each side of the card, and I'd be happy to e-mail you my template if you have the program, or a similar program that works with layers... :)


I've been getting so many spam comments lately, I've decided to disable "anonymous commenting" for a while. Sorry for any difficulty!


Related Posts with Thumbnails