Thursday, June 23, 2011

Homemade Play-Doh

This afternoon, Harvey and I made Play-Doh.



My mom gave me a recipe a while back that I have been meaning to try, and to be honest... I wasn't a fan. The batch turned out way too moist. Sticky almost. So I did some research.

I mixed and matched things from a few different recipes and I made another batch. And, well, it turned out pretty much perfect. The consistency is just wonderful!

Here's the final recipe I used:
(Makes about 3 cups)
  • 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 3/4 cup salt
  • 1 tablespoon alum (or you could use cream of tartar, both found in the spice section)
  • 1 1/2 cups water
  • 1 tablespoon oil
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla
  • food coloring
1. In a medium saucepan, mix flour, salt and alum.

2. Add in the water and oil. Cook over medium-low heat stirring constantly until the dough pulls away from the sides and sticks together. (About 5 minutes).

3. Remove from heat and add in vanilla. This is optional, but it smells much better than the regular recipe.



4. Divide the batch into balls, and knead in food coloring of your desired colors. Use the Wilton Gel food colors for vibrant colors. I divided my batch into 3, and the amount fit perfectly into the 1 cup-sized freezer jars made by Ball (you can find the purple-lidded jars in the canning section of the grocery store). Or a ziplock bag would work great as well...


We decided to make ours patriotic for Harvey and his cousins to play with at our annual 4th of July barbeque. Can't wait!

4 comments:

  1. Have you tried using Kool-Aid in your play dough yet? It adds a nice color, plus you get a yummy scent too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's like aroma dough? I like the koolaid idea. Maybe lemon extract? Except that my kids might eat it...though it would be safe. Do you refrigerate yours? my friend told me hers lasts longer when she does that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hannah,

    It doesn't smell like STRONG vanilla... it just takes the stinky flour+water smell away. I haven't been refrigerating it, and we've had my mom's batch for about 3 weeks and it's still going strong. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing Tiff. We'll have to try it out! :)

    ReplyDelete

I've been getting so many spam comments lately, I've decided to disable "anonymous commenting" for a while. Sorry for any difficulty!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails