Thursday, February 10, 2011

Playing Catch (up)

So.. I landed something nasty. I've been so exhausted - going to bed at 10pm is at least 3 hours early for me. I've had an awful sore throat, and an annoying cough. Bleh.

I had some great ideas to show you... but I decided to go to bed instead of blog.

But here I am now. Showing you the cute cookies I made for the Superbowl, which we were going to host at our house, but ended up not hosting. (Although I was disappointed, it was better for everyone.)

 Regardless... this is a Fabulous From-Scratch Sugar Cookie recipe - a must try:
1 1/2 cups butter, softened
2 cups white sugar
4 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
5 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt

1. In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Stir in the flour, baking powder and salt. Cover and chill dough for at least one hour (or overnight).

2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Roll out dough on floured surface 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick. Cut into shapes with any cookie cutter. Place cookies one inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets.

3. Bake 6 to 8 minutes in preheated oven. Cool completely.

And the Royal Icing:
4 egg whites
4 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon almond (or lemon) extract

1. Beat egg whites in a large bowl with mixer at high speed until foamy. Gradually add sugar an extract. Beat at high speed until thickened. NOTE: When dry, Royal Icing is very hard and resistant to damage that can occur during shipping/handling.

Simply delicious.


  1. Very nice and simple!
    Good for you for not hosting when sick. That would be hard for me especially if I had bad plans. But for the welfare of your body (and spreading any germs) that is best.

  2. The cookies are too cute. Feel better!


I've been getting so many spam comments lately, I've decided to disable "anonymous commenting" for a while. Sorry for any difficulty!


Related Posts with Thumbnails