Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Daily Docket

About a year ago, I stumbled across the amazing concept of a daily docket on SimpleMom.net. At first, I started implementing her system, but it has evolved over time. (If you want to see the actual printouts SimpleMom uses, check out her Downloads section.)

First off, I didn't like having to print an entire page out every day. I felt that it was a little wasteful. I wanted something smaller that I could reuse over and over. Plus, I really liked her weekly checklist, but realistically, there was no way I could get all of that done in just one week.  Here's how I solved those problems:

I divided it up. I made up a monthly checklist:

Of everything that needs to "get done" around here at least once per month. I laminated it, and taped it to the outside of one of my kitchen cabinets.

I also made a weekly checklist with the things that need to be done more often:

And a daily one, with a very flexible "schedule" (with only 5 spots, because I really don't have more than that each day), and with lots of to-do spaces. I like to add things as I think of them, but don't really expect myself to accomplish all 15 in one day:

I put those two back-to-back and laminated them as well.

I started out using a dry erase marker, but a dry erase marker doesn't like filling in the bubbles. It starts to erase itself when you go over the same spot twice. Plus I would accidentally bump it and it would erase something important.

So then I moved on to a wet erase marker. And it proved to be much more "temporarily" permanent. But if I had it in the kitchen and it got wet, or Harvey drooled on it, or I didn't dry my hands all the way after washing.... it would smear all over the place. And when I would spray it down and wipe it off at the end of the day, inevitably it would get on my hands and take a few washes before it would come off.

Then my sister-in-law told me I could use a permanent marker, and it would come off with Expo Dry Erase Cleaner. It is the perfect solution. I use a fine tip Sharpie, and all my information stays put. Plus, I tried plain 'ol rubbing alcohol to remove it , and it works great too.

My lists are kind of specific to me, but if there's enough interest in a more generalized version I could make one up for download. Leave a comment! What do you do to stay organized day-to-day?

**EDIT: I've now made up a .pdf with the more specific-to-me-items omitted.**



To download, click on the little arrow in the bottom right hand corner, or click on the little printer to print without saving. Enjoy!
~

I'm linking to Get Your Craft On, Tatortots and Jello, and
 Visit thecsiproject.com

36 comments:

  1. FYI: Hairspray also works on Sharpie markers. I love this idea...

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO fantastic! I really need to get more organized. I would definitely download it if you end up doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Organized? Day to day? Um . . . pretty much non-existent in my house. I love this idea, though. I also would download it if it was available.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this idea. I make to do list almost daily but this is more systematic. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there! I'm over from the CSI challenge! I love your list! I am so addicted to LISTS. Thank you so much for sharing! It's awesome!

    Tiffany @ Easie Peasie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I could totally use this for myself! I think I'll be copycatting. I'm already using the dry erase method for my kids--why didn't I think about it for myself? Genius!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this!! I am putting together something almost exactly like this, but I didn't know what kind of marker I was going to use. Thanks for sharing even that small detail...very helpful! I would love it if you would link this up to "Simplify for the New Year" at A Home Made by Kiki!! I'm your newest follower too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been working on a similar thing for the past year and haven't quite got it to where I want it, but what you've come up with is pretty darn close. Tiff you amaze me at how talented you are.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a good idea!! I need to be oragnized, but it just doesn't happen!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for linking up at A Home Made by Kiki!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great idea! I have a similar one that I use weekly but yours is much prettier!

    ReplyDelete
  12. love love love your blog! you are so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just found your blog through A Home Made By Kiki. Love it! And i would love your lists! Thanks :)

    sweet_e_pie7@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would love a copy of your docket! It looks great!! Thanks!
    jharris28@cox.net

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would LOVE a copy of your docket!!! I need all the help I can get!!!!
    sgill1129@gmail.com
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is perfect! I hope you don't mind sharing. I am so excited I need this! This is my first time to your blog and I am out of time but I am subscribing so I can look over it better at another time. Thanks again for sharing.

    technostamper@roadrunner.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thought I would let you know I now have a "Featured on..." button for you to grab on my main blog page.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Linked here from Organize and Decorate Everything and this is one of the most complete, simple, and perfectly sized dockets that I have seen. I would love the downloads. Thank you for offering them!

    allyson.dickinson@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love these documents. Thanks for sharing them. I would love a copy of the file.

    Amanda
    amandalrussell@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love this! So nice and prettier than mine. I would love a copy!!

    jjones6@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. I hope I'm not too late--I would love a copy!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I would love a copy of this. What a clever idea!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I would love a copy of these wonderful organized checklists. it;s just what I need. thanks
    tiffanymallen@msn.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. I would love a copy of those checklists!!!! My hubby is so tired of my post it note madness all over the house with random checklists. This is what I've been looking for!!
    east2west81@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. I would love the download if you have it available. Love the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love your forms, they are inspirational. I use a magic eraser to erase sharpies on laminated things.

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is wonderful! Just starting to try to organize my crew, this helps alot. Would love a copy & thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  28. This is exactly what I've been looking for b/c like you, no way could I get all that done EVERY day and love the laminating idea!

    I'd love to have a copy of the PDF... julez_n_az@yahoo.com

    Thanks!
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love that you created this and are sharing with everyone. Thank you for your kindness. If you are still emailing it out my info is vendor.love@juliaavina.com. Julia :-)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi! I just found this and your docket looks great. I would love the link if you are still sharing. Thanks!

    mjspena at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  31. I would like a copy of your docket. Thank you. mommakat_90@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. These lists are just what I was looking for. I'd love a copy!
    Sarahmchatch@gmail.com
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Just made my laminated cleaning checklist! Thanks so much! Can't wait to start using it :) http://www.flickr.com/photos/75420560@N04/6779178617/

    ReplyDelete
  34. I would like your lists please!!!
    Ash.bee.83@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure! Just download from the box in the post... :)

      Delete
  35. This is what I have been searching in many websites and I finally found it here. Amazing article. I am so impressed. Could never think of such a thing is possible with it...I think you have a great knowledge especially while dealings with such subjects.
    clipping path service provider

    ReplyDelete

I've been getting so many spam comments lately, I've decided to disable "anonymous commenting" for a while. Sorry for any difficulty!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails