Saturday, November 6, 2010

Scrap Saturday - Make a Desktop

Man! It's been a while. I've been sort of busy with holiday stuff, and I just haven't had time to make a tutorial...

Today I'm going to show you how I make a desktop for my computer every so often. I had planned on doing one each month, but time always got away from me and I was looking at 4th of July photos in October, so now my plan is to do one for each season.


First, scrapbook a page with the dimensions 12x12 at 300dpi. For my own stuff, I usually do this anyway because I want to save and print whatever I'm scrapbooking. Then I'll make a desktop out of my finished creation to enjoy for the time being.

Even if you don't want to save and print a version of your desktop, I would still recommend scrapping this way because...
1. Most designers save their products to be "lifesize" at those dimensions.
2. If you try to re-size each one, when you give it a shadow - all of your shadow styles will be super large.

Some other tips:
- I try to keep most of my element/photos to one side of the screen so desktop icons can fill in the space on the other side.
- It's easier to see those icons/text if the background paper is light.


1. When you are happy with your work, select all the layers except for the background (click the top one, hold shift down, and click the bottom one) and Merge the layers together (Ctrl+E).

2. Open a new document. Set the dimensions to the same size as your screen resolution. (You can check this by going to Control Panel > Display.) Make sure you have selected "pixels" - not inches or anything else. Also, set the dpi to 72. It will probably show up the same on your computer, but will take less time/memory for your computer to display it.


3. Select the background paper layer(s) in your original document, and drag them over to the new document while holding the shift key down. Doing this will center your background papers and will make the next step work.

3a. Press Ctrl + T. This will open the transform controls. At the top of your screen, push the little icon that looks like a chain. This will make sure your papers stay proportionate. (I'm assuming your screen is wider rather than taller here..) Type in only the width box: adding the same dimensions as your screen resolution. This should be the same number as the width of your new document. Photoshop will automatically adjust the height so the paper stays proportionate. Click the little green checkmark icon at the top right of your screen.


4. Now we're going to add the elements/photos. Select the element/photo layer in your original document, and drag it over to the new document while holding the shift key down. Doing this will center your elements (you can move them to the side later).

4a. Press Ctrl + T. This will open the transform controls again. At the top of your screen, push the little icon that looks like a chain. This will make sure your elements stay proportionate. This time, type in only the height box: adding the same dimensions as your screen resolution. This should be the same number as the height of your new document. Photoshop will automatically adjust the width so the elements/photos stay proportionate. Click the little green checkmark icon at the top right of your screen.

4b. Now, while holding the shift key down, click your photo/element layer and move it to the right or the left. Holding the shift key will keep it lined up with the document bounds.

Save, and choose as your desktop picture! If you have any questions, leave a comment and I'll get back to you.

Here's the finished desktop I made for my brother and sister-in-law:

And.. here's everything I've done in the last three weeks:









Happy Scrapping!

4 comments:

  1. What a fun idea for a desktop! I love all the pages... and I totally remember rewinding Casper for the kissing scene :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are some of the most incredible layouts! You really are a rock star scrapper!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, I loved Devon Sawa in Jr. High school.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can totally relate to the "If I had a million dollars" page...I could also make a twin "If I had a million hours" page...

    ReplyDelete

I've been getting so many spam comments lately, I've decided to disable "anonymous commenting" for a while. Sorry for any difficulty!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails