Thursday, November 4, 2010

Melt-In-Your-Mouth Rolls

I found this recipe on 71toes...

...and man is it good. Make these for Thanksgiving Dinner!

  • 1/2 cup tap-hot water
  • pinch sugar
  • 2 packages yeast (or 4 1/2 teaspoons)
  • 1 cup butter
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 3/4 cups sugar
  • 1 cup boiling water
  • 4 eggs (beaten)
  • 1 cup warm milk
  • 8 1/2 cups flour (I bought the "real" bread flour, just like Shauni)
1. Mix water, yeast and punch of sugar in bowl. Set aside until foamy.

2. Cream butter, salt and sugar. Add boiling water (I just put it in the microwave). Mix until dissolved. Cool to 105-115 degrees.

3. Beat in yeast mixture and eggs. Beat in flour gradually along with the warm milk.

4. Knead for five minutes or until silky (the dough will still be pretty sticky). Let rise until doubled in size (1 1/2 hours - 2 hours).

** I'm just going to add in my tips for rising time. I had plans to go to a play date with my friends and realized it was realistically going to be 3.5 to 4 hours. I made up the recipe to this point, put it in a HUGE stainless steel bowl and set it by an open window. It wasn't super cold outside, but the chilly fall weather helped keep the bowl cool which slowed down the rising process. I got home a little over 4 hours later and it had risen just a tad more than double.**

5. Punch down and divide into four balls. Roll out into approx 14 inch circle. Paint surface with melted butter, and cut up (in a slicing pie fashion) with a pizza cutter into 12 pieces.

6.  Roll each piece from big end to small end (like a croissant) and place on greased cookie sheet with point tucked under. Let rise, covered with a cloth until doubled in size (again, approx. 1 1/2-2 hours).

** Now.. because I had stayed so long with my friends, and the Halloween party I was making these rolls for was only 2.5 hours away, I had to speed up this rising process. I preheated my oven to 170 degrees then turned the oven off. I set the cookie sheets, covered with a dishcloth, inside to rise for about 45 minutes.**

7. Bake at 400 for 10-12 minutes.


  1. Will definitely have to try these!!

  2. Will definitely go with my chicken pot pie I'm planning to make this week too!!! :)


I've been getting so many spam comments lately, I've decided to disable "anonymous commenting" for a while. Sorry for any difficulty!


Related Posts with Thumbnails