Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Tutorial: Grand Ol' Banner


Every year we get together on the 4th of July with my hubby's family, and since it's one of my favorite holidays, I told them all I want to host the festivities at our house each year. I wanted to make a cute banner to display for the party.

Here's what you need:
  • Fat quarters (18 x 22) of your choice in fabric (I had 6 different patterns)
  • 3 feet of matching bias tape
1. First, I cut my fabric into triangles. If you fold your fat quarters in half and cut them this way, you can get 7 flags out of each piece of fabric. The two pieces on the fold can be put together to form one flag.


2. I didn't want frayed edges, so I sewed two triangles together on the wrong side, then turned them right-side out. They looked kind of small, but after ironing the seams flat they look just right.


3. Sew the bias tape onto one side of your flags. Open your bias tape up and sew your flags on with a straight stitch just to the side of the fold. I didn't pin (I hate pinning) I just added the flags as I was going along. If you're confused or you're a visual learner, check out this fabulous (and funny) video tutorial from Angry Chicken.

4. Fold the bias tape over and sew a zig zag stitch along the edge to secure it.

And there ya go... an adorable banner for any holiday or celebration - just customize the fabric to your occasion!

2 comments:

  1. Just a quick note to let you know that a link to this post will be placed on CraftCrave today [30 Jun 12:00pm GMT]. Thanks, Maria

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the fabrics. I make mine a bit different too, I don't sew the flags to the bias tape twice, like you typically would with bias. I am too lazy (and frankly didn't how to use it when I first starting making them). I just sew the zigzag on top, once. One of my friends who tried my pattern suggested doing it the way you teach. oh, well, both ways work, I am glad to keep learning techniques.

    ReplyDelete

I've been getting so many spam comments lately, I've decided to disable "anonymous commenting" for a while. Sorry for any difficulty!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails