Saturday, June 19, 2010

Scrap Saturday - Selective Coloring in Photoshop

*** If you're here for the blog train, keep scrolling down! ***

This week I'm going to show you how to change one color in a multi-colored element. It's SUPER easy, and I was so excited when I figured out how to do this...

I'm working on a layout that has a brown background, so I didn't want the alpha to be brown as well. Plus, the alpha has a white mat behind each letter, and I didn't want to use the Hue/Saturation option in Photoshop because I wanted that mat to stay white. So, lets just turn the brown part - green.

First, open the item that you want to recolor by going to Image > Adjustments > Replace Color. A new window will open.

Next, click the colored box at the top of the window - and it will open a Color Selection box. Click right on the element - on the color you want to change, and click OK. That color will show up in both the Color Selection box, and the top box of the Replace Color window.

Now, you need to choose the color to change the element. Click the bottom colored box, and the same Color Selection window will open. You can move the sliders around to find a color you want, or - what I usually do - click on an element in your layout that you want to match. I clicked on the little green string in my layout. Click OK.

Now, you can view right on your open element what it will look like, and there is one last thing you can tweak so it's just how you want it. Move the "Fuzziness" slider back and forth until you find the spot that changes all of what you want to change, but nothing more. Then click OK. Now you can drag it over to your layout. And that's it! Just make sure you don't save that changed element over the original!

Here's my finished layout:

As always, don't hesitate to leave a comment if you have any questions (or compliments!) - I'm happy to help! 


  1. I LOVE your blog!!!! Adding it to my sidebar! and following you!

  2. Thanks for the fun tutorial...helped me out a lot! I do have one to you tweak the color when the letter has a shadow or glare on it?



I've been getting so many spam comments lately, I've decided to disable "anonymous commenting" for a while. Sorry for any difficulty!


Related Posts with Thumbnails