Saturday, June 5, 2010

Scrap Saturday - How to Use a Template

So, for this week's tutorial I'm going to show you how to use a template. (Sorry Aliese, one more week...)

First of all, a template is a file with layers - each layer being a piece of your scrapbook layout. For example, I made up this template for Wendy's June blog challenge. (So download it, complete a page using her designs, and link your layout to this forum thread to join. The winner gets $4 to her store, and you get a free template. Who's complaining?)


Each thing is a different layer: all of those colored pieces on the edge are papers, each black photo, the journaling, the background and the white paper.

Open the file in Photoshop, and choose what pictures, papers and elements you want to use. In the template file, click on the layer you want your photo (called "photo 1" here).


Drag your photo on top of the template to where you want it. It will add your photo as a layer right above the one you've selected. Check to make sure your actual photo is the layer selected in the layers palette. Now all you have to do is create a clipping mask to make your photo "clip" to the black photo layer. You can find it in the Layers dropdown menu, or just use the shortcut: Ctrl + Alt + G.

You should see a little arrow coming from your photo layer to the black layer. Now your "clipped" picture shows up only where the layer below it shows up. Erase a part of that layer, your photo disappears in that area too. But (and this is the best part, in my opinion) you can change your mind about where you put your photo. Just click your photo layer and drag it, zoom in, or zoom out, to exactly the position you want it and it still shows up only where it's clipped. You can't do that if you crop your photo and add it to your layout as it's own layer. Here, I resized my photo to 120%, and rotated it a bit to center Harvey in the space.


Keep following this procedure for all the papers and such. I really like the above feature of a clipping mask especially for papers. Sometimes I don't like what part of a patterned paper shows up, so I can just move it around until I like what I see.

Finish your layout by adding your journaling, a title, and the elements. It's best to add your own elements in the places the elements are shown in the template, then just delete or turn off those layers (by clicking the little eyeball in the layers palette). Add shadowing and you're done! Seriously.. if you have any questions - DON'T hesitate to leave a comment!!

Here's my finished layout:

2 comments:

  1. HaHaHa! No worries...I've never used a template (just copy stuff I Google and like), so this is helpful as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for this post. I want to let you know that I posted a link to your blog in CBH Digital Scrapbooking Freebies, under the Page 6 post on Jun. 22, 2010. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete

I've been getting so many spam comments lately, I've decided to disable "anonymous commenting" for a while. Sorry for any difficulty!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails