Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Your Own "Store"

The church I belong to puts a lot of emphasis on being prepared and living frugally. One of the things they suggest is to have a storage of food and necessities to run your home. They really recommend "life sustaining foods" like wheat, flour and beans, which I still need to work on a bit. (I need to learn how to cook with stored wheat first!) But I decided to store up the things we use weekly. You should too...

...set up your own "store" in your home:
It took me a long time to build up this much food, and I'm really lucky to have a large enough laundry room to fit these really nice shelves (thanks Justy!) but I used to store A LOT of stuff in rolling bins under our bed when we lived in a small one bedroom apartment.

You can save a TON of money on groceries and other household supplies, by purchasing them in bulk when they are on sale, then storing them for times when they aren't that cheap. Now whenever I'm headed to the grocery store, I always scan the aisles for the items I have in my "store." If they are a great price, I'll grab a couple then add them to the *back* of my shelves at home. To keep track of what and how much I need to purchase again, I have a little notepad hanging on my shelves. Every time I take something from these shelves, I'll just write it down on the pad.

Not only does this save you money by only buying the things you use regularly on sale, but it's great for peace of mind too. If for some reason we didn't have our same amount of income coming in (loss of job, illness, etc.) we would still be able to eat with a minimal grocery bill - and we wouldn't run out of toilet paper either!


  1. You never cease to amaze me! I can't believe how organized you are, I want to be that way!!!! Thanks for sharing all your great ideas and talents:)

  2. Dave and I just spent the last two months basically living off of our food storage. You are totally right - our grocery bill was minimal, and we didn't run out of TP! I envy your shelves. My stuff is all in the garage on tall shelves that I have to climb up to.

  3. Wow - You are so organized!!!


I've been getting so many spam comments lately, I've decided to disable "anonymous commenting" for a while. Sorry for any difficulty!


Related Posts with Thumbnails