Tuesday, April 27, 2010


Not to be confused with Goopy Goo; trust me... they are completely different.

This stuff is just about the coolest thing I've ever touched. It looks really solid in the bowl, it feels solid right when you pick it up, and then it just melts right through your fingers. There's not really a way to explain it - just try it. (Don't be frightened by the mess in the photos, it's really easy to wipe up with just water and a rag!)

I found the recipe in "Kid Concoctions, Creations and Contraptions" by Robynne Eagan.

Here's what you need:
  • 1 cup (250 ml) cornstarch
  • 1 cup (250 ml) water
  • food coloring
  • square pan or basin
  • spoon
  • plastic table cover
  1. Add food coloring to water.
  2. Pour 1/2 cup (125 ml) of cornstartch into a bowl.
  3. Add water, a few drops at a time and stir.
  4. Continue adding water and cornstarch until the mixture seems to become a thick liquid.
  5. Use your hands to combine the ingredients when it gets tough to stir.
  6. Explore the stuff!
  7. When you are through with your slime, let it dry in the pan overnight and then scrape into the garbage.
**How it works, according to my book: The grains of the starch are packed together but spaced evenly apart. Slow movement allows the grains to keep their spacing and slide past one another like a liquid. Quick movement or pressure jams the grains together making it act like a solid.


  1. I did this with Kindergarteners whilst doin' some student teaching hours. There's a Dr. Suess book that goes GREAT with it:

    We call it Oobleck thanks to the story!

  2. I did this last summer with my boys. We had so much fun! We also called it Oobleck. I can't wait until Brina is big enough to demand things be in girl colors. Our oobleck was green.


I've been getting so many spam comments lately, I've decided to disable "anonymous commenting" for a while. Sorry for any difficulty!


Related Posts with Thumbnails