Just following through on my declutter-all-old-magazines-project...
Here are my favorite (and also applicable) gentle reminders from 5 years of February's, again, via Martha.
- Join a community-supported agriculture (CSA) cooperative. You'll receive farm-fresh produce and support local family farms. To find a CSA, go to localharvest.org/csa or look for postings in community centers and health-food stores.
- Dry clothes safely. If the laundry takes longer than normal to dry, the exhaust duct for your machine may be clogged, which can spark a fire. Check the outside cent while the dryer is running to make sure exhaust air is escaping. To clean, disconnect the vent and remove lint with a vacuum or a brush.
- Clean and organize bookshelves. Dust shelves, and sort books by subject, so you can quickly find what you're seeking. Then, while you're at it...
- Take stock of your home library. In honor of Library Lovers Month, donate unwanted books and periodicals to a public library or a school.
- Save the date. With Valentine's Day falling on a fill-in-any-day-of-the-week-here this year, restaurants are likely to fill up early. Check out special holiday menus and book a table as soon as possible for you and your sweetheart.
- Taxing issue. Gather your W-2 forms and other relevant documents to make sure you have everything you need to file your taxes by the April 15 deadline. There is still time to request copies if anything is missing. For more information, or if you plan to file online, visit irs.gov/efile.
- Mend clothing. Set aside time to perform simple repairs, such as replacing buttons, fixing hems, or patching holes. Use mercerized thread, which glides easily and is more durable than regular thread.