Sunday, January 31, 2010


So, I've been in a rut. A spiritual rut.

I just haven't felt like reading my scriptures, praying, or going visiting teaching. I've kind of felt like 3 hours of church is almost a waste of time because all I do there is wrestle with Harvey. I didn't want to feel that way, but that's just how I felt.

Today I went home from church to get more milk for Harvey hoping he would drink some during sacrament meeting and get sleepy, and once I got home I didn't want to go back. Lucky for me, I left my diaper bag and church bag next to the primary room. I took Harvey back to sacrament meeting, and one family in our ward spoke on an article in the January Ensign called "Hold on a Little Longer" by Elder Uchtdorf.

The father likened our spiritual preparation to the physical preparation of the participants in the Tour de France. He said the athletes wake up very early to consume almost 5500 calories of breakfast carbohydrates so they can have 2 hours to digest before starting the race each day at 7 a.m. He kept repeating the phrase: "If you don't consume, you can't compete."

No wonder I've been feeling so stressed out and unprepared for everything that has been going on around me. I can't compete with all the adversary is throwing in my face because I haven't consumed anything spiritual! My spirit is dehydrated and malnourished. Elder Uchtdorf said, "We need to stay close to the Lord every day if we are to survive the adversity that we all must face."

President Harold B. Lee taught: "Testimony isn't something that you have today and you keep always. Testimony is either going to grow and grow to the brightness of certainty, or it is going to diminish to nothingness, depending upon what we do about it. I say, the testimony that we recapture day by day is the thing that saves us from the pitfalls of the adversary."

At the end of the article is listed a self-evaluation to help you think about how you are doing in strengthening your testimony:
  • Do I desire to believe?
  • Do I fast and pray for a stronger testimony?
  • Do I read and ponder the scriptures each day?
  • Do I try to keep the commandments each day?
  • Do I try to follow promptings from the Holy Ghost?
  • Do I bear my testimony when prompted to?
I know I could definitely improve in some of these areas. Here's to holding on a little longer.


  1. Ah Tiff, hang in there! I love you and think you are awesome. It is so hard sometimes to keep the habits of spiritual growth, especially when you are so busy with kids and a husband and life in general. But, I agree, it's what feeds our souls. Also, if anything, going to church every week keeps you in the habit, even if you spend the whole time wrestling with Harvey. Bro Martin gave a really great talk today, and I'm glad you were there to hear it. :)

  2. We have started referring to Sacrament meeting as a "full conact sport" at our house because handling Sophie takes so much effort. Even though we usually don't get much out of the meeting, we keep going because we want tos tay in practice. I think that is okay. Heavenly Father is most likely just glad that you are there. At least I hope He is because some weeks that is about all we can do. Good luck! Also, come sit with us anytime. maybe Sophie and Harvey can distract each other for a minute!

  3. We are so there! I love your post! Handling kids during church is so hard and sometimes discouraging but we all just have to find a way to make it through. For us it's SNACKS! I think they are the only thing that keeps us sane in church. But I love the part about being malnourished and dehydrated...I feel that way a lot, and you are so right about the way to fix it. Thanks for the whole idea!!!

  4. Fabulous post Tiff, we all could use a little reminder about the need to recharge our battery. Thank you, this is what I needed to hear!

  5. Thanks for the great reminder Tiff! I think all young mothers struggle with this problem frequently. It's been my biggest struggle since the day Trey was born almost 6 years ago! Hang in there!


I've been getting so many spam comments lately, I've decided to disable "anonymous commenting" for a while. Sorry for any difficulty!


Related Posts with Thumbnails