Monday, December 14, 2009

Christmas Countdown

Although I'm contemplating many other options for a Christmas Advent calendar, I saw these at a local store and had to make my own...
  • 4x4 inch wooden blocks
  • 1x4x9 inch wooden "stand"
  • 3 patterned scrapbook papers
  • numbers (mine are vinyl, but you could mod podge paper cut outs as well)
  • "... days left" (again, mine were vinyl)
  • red and black paint
  • mod podge
1. Paint your blocks all red.  Use a little black paint to edge your blocks.

2. Cut out square pieces of scrapbook paper. My pieces were 3.5x3.5 inches. Glue on with Mod Podge and let dry. Cut out piece for the stand: 1x6.5 inches. Glue with Mod Podge and let dry.

3. Attach your numbers. Each block needs the following:
  • 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
  • 0, 1, 2, 6, 7, 8 (the 6 doubles as a 9, so keep this in mind when choosing your font)
6.  Attach "...days left".

7. Mod Podge over everything and let dry.


  1. If your blocks are 4" X 4 " wouldn't you need a base of at least 8" long. I'm just having trouble with the measurements you listed and how you made everything fit...

    1. You are right! I'm sorry, it was a type mistake. The base is 9 inches long. :)

  2. How did you paint your blocks this way?

    1. I painted them red, then let them dry, and "inked" the edges with a little bit of black paint. After that dried, I attached the paper with mod podge. :)

  3. Where did you get your blocks from?


I've been getting so many spam comments lately, I've decided to disable "anonymous commenting" for a while. Sorry for any difficulty!


Related Posts with Thumbnails